Frequently Asked Questions for Building Regulation Drawings

The Building Regulations are concerned with the constructional details of buildings and set down minimum standards to safeguard the health and safety of persons in and around buildings; conserve fuel and power and water, security and to provide facilities for disabled people. They are applied by all local authorities in England and Wales and therefore apply on a national basis. (Scotland has similar but separate Regulations)

You have the choice of adopting one of two alternative procedures under which the work can be carried out; a Full Plans application or a Building Notice submission If you have appointed an architect or other suitably qualified person to prepare plans the procedures should be known by them and they will act as your agent to apply on your behalf. This is recommended as the best course for peopled not experienced in building work.

Minor works such as Internal alterations involving the removal of one or two walls, installation of boilers or other heating appliances, insertion of windows, installation of bathrooms and other drainage, garages / carports (not exempt from building regulation), and the underpinning of foundations.

Works can commence after the giving of a Building Notice. Detailed plans are not always required resulting in savings in time and cost. With this procedure you must be confident that the works will comply with the Building Regulations or there is a risk of having to correct it after inspection. You may be asked to submit plans and calculations at a later stage to show that your proposals comply with the Building Regulations.

A Building Regulation application is valid for three years from the date of deposit. If you have started the works within the three years, there is no time limit to finish, however, the onus is on the owner to ensure regular visits to check progress are being requested. Contact the Building Control team if your Building Control or Planning application are about to run out.

Ideally you should discuss any proposed changes with your Building Control surveyor and if necessary, the Planning Officer before you do them and we may ask for amended plans to be submitted. Ultimately the works carried out on site must still comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations if they deviate.

The Building Regulations are made under powers provided in the Building Act 1984 and apply in England and Wales. The current edition of the regulations is ‘The Building Regulations 2010’ and the majority of building projects are required to comply with them.

The Building Regulations are grouped under 15 ‘parts’. The ‘parts’ cover a range of individual aspects of building design and construction.

Yes, you should notify your Building Control Surveyor when the works are complete and arrange for a completion inspection to be undertaken. If everything is in order, they will issue a Certificate of Completion for the works.

In the first instance contact the Building Control department of your Local Authority to explain what work you are concerned about. They can determine whether an application would have been required and check their records to determine if the work described if an application was submitted.

The above FAQ are for this link Building Regulation Drawings